Meals on Wheels Orange County NC could not deliver a single meal without the help of our volunteers. Our goal is to attract, train and engage our volunteers, utilizing their diverse skills to best serve the needs of our recipients, as well as our organization. We look forward to you joining our large corps of dedicated volunteers who lend their time and talents to help deliver meals to older adults, homebound adults, adults with disabilities, and those convalescing, who do not have access to or the ability to prepare a healthy meal.
We strive to be recognized as a model non-profit organization that attracts, trains and engages volunteers, utilizing their diverse skills and talents to best serve the needs of the organization and by extension our recipients. Volunteer workers are integrated into the organization as integral components to the success of the enterprise and are properly informed, trained and connected within and throughout the organization to serve as representatives of the organization in their designated role and in the broader community.
During the COVID-19 crisis, our volunteer opportunities have changed to match how we have changed our service. We need volunteers who can do one or more of the following:
- Phone Calling: We have established a volunteer phone brigade to call recipients each weekday when they would normally be receiving a meal. Volunteers will be supplied with a call sheet, basic script, and instructions on how to share information gathered with the office.
- Meal Delivery: We are now delivering from two locations. Frozen meal deliveries from Chapel Hill are made each Thursday morning and deliveries from Hillsborough are made each Monday morning. Volunteer drivers are needed at both locations.
- Emergency Food and Supply Boxes: Volunteers have been a great source of supplies for and putting together of, emergency food and supply boxes. For details on what goes into making a complete box or a general list of items needed, please click here. Completed boxes and supplies can be delivered to the MOWOCNC office at 632 Laurel Hill Road (St Thomas More South Campus) between 10am-3pm M, T, W and on Thursdays between 9-10:30am or 1-3pm. Leave items on the cart or by the door with the sign for MOWOCNC. You can leave items (on a nice day) even if someone is not there as we may have just stepped out momentarily and will be back before 3PM.
- Baking: We have resumed accepting baked goods for our once-a-week Thursday deliveries. We are using SignUp.com rather than a set schedule until we resume Monday - Friday deliveries. If you are interested, please click here. Review the dates listed and choose the spot(s) you want. You do not need to create an account to do this.
If you are interested in volunteering in any capacity (shelf-stable food sorter, set-up, delivery, phone-caller) and have not already done so, please contact Heather Harris, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com.
If you are not feeling well or have a cough, cold, or fever, we respectfully request that you do not come to drop off supplies or to volunteer. If you have recently travelled by plane, we ask that you wait 14 days before volunteering. We serve a vulnerable population and we want to take all precautions to keep both our volunteers and recipients safe and healthy.
We understand that everyone has to make the best decisions for their own health and safety. Even if you volunteer and decide later that you are not comfortable or able, just let us know.
We also continue to need volunteers who can provide leadership or professional services. Specifics are listed in those sections are the bottom of this page.
Ready to volunteer? Click here, fill out the form, and we will get you started.
Once we are past the COVID crisis and have returned to normal operations, we will have these volunteer opportunities:
- Help pack hot meals for our clients.
- Monday – Friday from 8:45 am – 10:45 am.
- Deliver hot meals to recipients using your own vehicle or sign-up to drive our MOWOCNC KIA car, donated by University KIA of Durham and Chapel Hill.
- Monday – Friday from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm.
- Whip up a batch of your best recipe at home, wrap it up and bring it to us to be delivered to our recipients in their homes. Sugar-free desserts needed as well.
- Weekend bakers are welcome!
- For complete instructions email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Help sort donations from the Porch program into individual "stock-your-pantry" bags that are then delivered to our recipients.
- June-August only.
Pick Up Artists
- Drive to Trader Joe’s, Panera, or other locations to accept their donations and deliver them to our office.
- There is always something happening at MOWOCNC and we could use your help!
- Interested in helping us raise funds to ensure meals and weekday daily visits for our recipients? Help with our annual appeal or fundraising events, like Dining for Others, or share your expertise to help develop and implement a marketing and outreach initiative!
- Have some extra time to donate but prefer to do so from home? Help with administrative tasks like collation and sending of mailings, spreadsheet updates, holiday and birthday card writing, and more!
- Our need varies. Please fill out the Volunteer form or call us at 919-942-2948 extension 3 and let's discuss.
- We have an on-going need for volunteers in professional areas ranging from law, marketing, and human resources to social media, web development, and databases.
- If you can contribute in one of these areas, or one that we haven't listed, we would like to hear from you!
- Serve as a member of our Finance, Marketing, Development or Volunteer Committees or apply to join our Board of Directors.
- All skills and talents are welcome!
- Please complete and submit this form. You can also contact the office at 919-942-2948 extension 5.
Your office, youth group, and/or social group can deliver meals to our clients as a one-time event coupled with our regular drivers, or get trained and become part of a weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or quarterly rotation!
To volunteer, please complete and submit this form, and we will contact you to discuss your interests.
None of these look quite right for you? You can also support us by donating in any amount, large or small.